Admission Policy Statement
The American College adheres to a policy of non-discrimination in admitting students. Candidates for admission are considered without reference to race, color, religion, sex, handicap or national origin. American College students come from many parts of the world, bringing with them a diverse range of academic backgrounds, experiences, special interests, talents and cultural heritage.
Admission criteria for undergraduate programs
All applicants must have a Secondary (High) School Leaving Certificate (i.e. 12 or 11 years of education depending on the country of origin) or equivalent qualifications.
Admission criteria for postgraduate programs
Applicants for a postgraduate program of study must fulfill the following admission criteria:
- A Secondary School Leaving Certificate or equivalent qualifications.
- A university degree or equivalent qualifications.
To apply for admission, applicants will be required to submit, beyond other documents, two references using the College reference form. The references should be from people who can comment thoughtfully on the applicant’s abilities. This may include current and/or former instructors, employers, and other associates.
English language criteria
The language of instruction at the American College is the English language except for the programs offered in Greek language. For programs where English is the language of instruction and for programs where Greek is the language of instruction but students are required to fulfill the English language criteria, students must provide evidence of proficiency in the English language. For a complete list of programs of study and language of instruction click here. Any of the following is considered as an acceptable proof:
- A score of at least 500 (Paper-Based Score) or 173 (Computer-Based Score) or 61 (Internet-based Score) on the TOEFL test.
- A grade of “D” or higher in the GCE “O” level / IGCSE English Language examination.
- An average grade of 5.0 in the IELTS examination.
Applicants do not have to fulfil the English language criteria if at least one of the following is true:
- their mother tongue is English;
- they have received their secondary education in countries where English is the native language; or
- they are applying for a program of study which its language of instruction is Greek.
English Language Placement Test
If an applicant fails to provide an acceptable proof of his/her English language proficiency he/she will be required to take the College English Language Placement Test during College registration. Students who fail the English Language standards of the College will be required to take preparatory English language courses only or preparatory English language courses and courses from their program of study.